The University at Lewisburg, Pa.

Title

The University at Lewisburg, Pa.

Creator

Artist unknown
American, 19th century?
Printed circa 1858–77 by Ferdinand Mayer

Description

Founded in 1846, the University at Lewisburg remained under its original title only for a few decades. In 1886, the board of trustees voted to change the name to Bucknell University, in honor of William Bucknell, one of the founders of the school whose donation four years earlier had saved it from financial ruin. The print was likely created sometime between 1858, when the university’s four-columned Main Building was completed, and circa 1877, the year Ferdinand Mayer, the lithograph’s printer, is supposed to have died.

Contributor

Palmer Museum of Art, The Pennsylvania State University, Partial gift and purchase from John C. O’Connor and Ralph M. Yeager

Identifier

86.663

Source

John C. O'Connor and Ralph M. Yeager Collection, Palmer Museum of Art, The Pennsylvania State University

Rights

This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. Other uses are not permitted.

Format

Lithograph with hand coloring; 13-15/16 x 17-15/16 in. (35.4 x 45.6 cm)

Coverage

United States, Pennsylvania, Union (county), Lewisburg