Brandonville

Title

Brandonville

Creator

Charles Hart
American, b. England, 1823–1913
After H. S. P.
American, 19th century?

Date

after 1864

Description

Located about twelve miles southwest of Hazelton, Brandonville was laid out in 1864 by Nelson Brandon on land that he owned in East Union Township. The trains shown moving in either direction run on the Catawissa Valley Railroad, which extended from Port Clinton, just east of Allentown, to Williamsport. The trotting track to the right was completed in 1865, thus setting a terminus post quem for the production of the lithograph.

Charles Hart apprenticed with the New York lithography company run by George Endicott between 1839 and 1844. He stayed on with the Endicott firm until 1861, when he opened his own lithography shop, on Vesey Street in New York City. He remained active as a lithographer well into the early years of the twentieth century

Contributor

Palmer Museum of Art, The Pennsylvania State University, Partial gift and purchase from John C. O’Connor and Ralph M. Yeager

Identifier

86.407

Source

John C. O'Connor and Ralph M. Yeager Collection, Palmer Museum of Art, The Pennsylvania State University

Rights

This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. Other uses are not permitted.

Format

Lithograph with hand coloring; 16-1/2 x 24-3/4 in. (41.9 x 62.9 cm)

Coverage

United States, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill (county), Brandonville