Valley Forge, Pa.


Valley Forge, Pa.


Attributed to Thaddeus M. Fowler
American, 1842–1922
Printed by A. E. Downs, Boston
Published by James B. Moyer




Known today almost exclusively as the location where the Continental Army camped in the winter of 1777-78 during the American Revolutionary War, Valley Forge, as this lithograph demonstrates, was a small but thriving town throughout much of the later eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. In the 1780s, a dam was constructed across Valley Creek to replace the forge dams that were destroyed by the British in September 1777. The dam created a pond that provided a source of power for numerous industries, including a rolling mill, a gristmill, a paper factory, and a cotton mill.

In the 1920s, the Valley Forge State Park acquired much of the land where Valley Creek flows into the Skuylkill River. In an effort to return the area back to the way it was when George Washington camped there, park officials demolished the dam and razed most of the nineteenth century buildings. As a result, the village of Valley Forge depicted in this lithograph from 1890 ceased to exist.


Palmer Museum of Art, The Pennsylvania State University, Partial gift and purchase from John C. O’Connor and Ralph M. Yeager




John C. O'Connor and Ralph M. Yeager Collection, Palmer Museum of Art, The Pennsylvania State University


This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. Other uses are not permitted.


Color lithograph with additional hand coloring


United States, Pennsylvania, Chester (county), Valley Forge