View of Williamsport, Pa.

Title

View of Williamsport, Pa.

Creator

John Badger Bachelder
American, 1825–1894
Published by P.S. Duval, Philadelphia.

Date

1854

Description

Today a community with widely diversified industries, Williamsport was, from the time of its founding in 1795, and still in 1854 when John Bachelder created his drawing, a thriving lumber city. This view of Williamsport was sketched from the slopes of Sand Hill, near the present Country Club Lane. The canal boat in the foreground is moving along the West Branch Canal, constructed between 1828 and 1837 to render portions of the Susquehanna River between Northumberland and Lock Haven more navigable. The covered bridge in the distance connects Williamsport at Market Street with the hamlet of Rocktown, now South Williamsport. The twin-towered building at the right is Old Main at Lycoming College, which at the time was known as Dickinson Seminary.

Contributor

Palmer Museum of Art, The Pennsylvania State University, Partial gift and purchase from John C. O’Connor and Ralph M. Yeager

Identifier

86.591

Source

John C. O'Connor and Ralph M. Yeager Collection, Palmer Museum of Art, The Pennsylvania State University

Rights

This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. Other uses are not permitted.

Format

Lithograph with hand coloring; 21-3/4 x 28-7/8 in. (55.3 x 73.4 cm)

Coverage

United States, Pennsylvania, Lycoming (county), Williamsport