English, active c. 1763–1805
Not a great deal has come to light about the life of James Miller. He was active from about 1763 until his death in 1805, and was best known to the public between 1773 and 1791, when he exhibited regularly at the Royal Academy and the Society of Artists in London.
The church featured here was constructed in 1611 on the ruins of an older church that dated at least to the 11th century. At the time, it stood well into the country, twelve miles, as the inscription indicates, from Hyde Park Corner, which in the late eighteenth century marked the southwestern boundary of the city of London. The building remains extant and in use, with additions in 1875 and 2006, as the Anglican Church of St. John the Baptist, in the Greater London suburb of what is now called Old Malden.
A companion sheet, similarly painted and addressed, but showing a southeast view of the church, is housed in the British Library.